Tuesday 1 February 2011

Broken Hill Midwifery Contract


On the 26th of January I said goodbye to Eric and our home aboard SV "Erica" ( Can you spot him in the water there, waving?) and flew from Langkawi to Kuala Lumpar, then on to the Gold Coast. My twin sister Madeline was not aware of me coming. I had not told her about getting a midwifery contract in Broken Hill as I wanted the visit to the Gold Coast to be kept a suprise. When she got home from work and opened the door she jumped and looked around horrified as I said "About time you got home" from behind the sofa!
I enjoyed 3 days with her and Peter before flying on to Broken Hill.


It was a very interesting flight over a very barren landscape with runoffs from recent rain


I have a 13 wk contract here until May the 1st. Eric has the unenviable job of sanding and varnishing in the heat and humidity!
I was given a very friendly welcome and quick tour of the hospital before being taken to the staff quarters
The hospital is quite new and is set out really nicely but the old nurses home doesn't look like there's been any change since being built in 1941
 Panoramic view taken from the town, looking towards the staff residence on the hill
Hospital from front and back



Broken Hill is an isolated mining city in the far west of outback NSW near the Sth Australian border. It mines silver, zinc and lead..Adelaide which is the nearest major city is around 500 km  to the southwest.Sydney is 1100kms to the east. It is surrounded by semi-desert, but the town has some lovely  parks and gardens and offers a number of attractions. Today I walked to the Post office to collect my welcome pack sent by my agency" Nurse at Call" and what a lovely array of gifts. A telstra bubble touch phone with credit, calender,soap,jellybeans, pen and ruler............ It was my birthday yesterday.

I took these photos this morning before it got too hot. The temperatures have been in the 40's, but a very dry heat.

 The murals on the outside wall of the train station were very good. This photo does no credit to them though
Park in town
 The post office
Mine tailings on the Broken Hill behind the town






 Alot of the homes have been renovated and look really nice.
I start work tomorrow. It's been great having the first 2 days off to familiarise myself.
I'll update again when there's more news

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Cathy,
The little town seems to not have much to look at. The murals are really well done. I rather have the freezing temperatures instead of being boiled alive. Today, we are supposed to have a big snow storm which started early in the morning. It doesn't look all that bad. There is much hype about not much yet. I think they just want people to drive slowly. Margrit

Ralph and Colleen said...

Lovely to see the photos and see you settled in Broken Hill Cas!

SV Erica

SV Erica

About Me

My photo
We met in 1971 and it was Eric's dream to build his own yacht and sail the world. This became a joint dream but it was not until 1994 that we were able to start building. "Erica" was launched in 2001 after 7yrs building her. It then took us 5 yrs to prepare her and ourselves before leaving NZ to see the world

Followers