Wednesday 16 February 2011

10 weeks to go in Broken Hill, The Silver city

I've been here 2 weeks now and I hit the Maternity unit with my feet running.. Every birth I had something to do with. The unit is short staffed so I worked long shifts and was called in when off duty, when a woman came in labouring. The staff are really lovely and the unit is well run and organised so I didn't mind. Most of the births are over for this month so my second week, being nightshifts were quiet.



I'm now enjoying my days off.
Yesterday I biked up to the Line of Lode mine where there is a memorial to the miners who lost their lives there,( Left of photo)and a restaurant and souvenir shop.( Right side of photo)

The Line of Lode is the richest deposit of silver, lead and zinc in the world. The ore body shaped like a coat hanger, is 7.5kms long and 250m wide.



The cafe/ Restaurant has a lovely view over the town

Today I biked to the Aquatic centre to do some lengths of the pool. There was a school carnival on so I enjoyed watching the kids swimming

Then I rode over to Sth Broken Hill which is the "other side of the hill" and enjoyed a milkshake in Bells milkbar and museum. The original 1950's decor was really interesting and they handmade their syrups to flavour the icecream sodas and shakes. I had caramel and it was truely the best thickshake that I can remember. I'll certainly be heading there again!


On the way home I marvelled at the number of old pubs.It is said that when Broken Hill was in it's hey day there was a pub on every corner and I can quite believe it.





There are some very nice renovated villas and the prices are cheap


We have been unindated with grasshoppers and crickets in the staff residence. I don't know how they get in. Even having a rolled up towel at the bottom of the door doesn't stop them. This spider has a web at the top of the stairway on the way to work. He's quite impressive


No comments:

SV Erica

SV Erica

About Me

My photo
We met in 1971 and it was Eric's dream to build his own yacht and sail the world. This became a joint dream but it was not until 1994 that we were able to start building. "Erica" was launched in 2001 after 7yrs building her. It then took us 5 yrs to prepare her and ourselves before leaving NZ to see the world

Followers